Monday 11 January 2016

Sandy Sojurn

North Stradbroke Island half circumnavigation. 

By the end of March 2015 March another chance for an overnight adventure of the fat kind presented itself. Now I'd ridden a Specialized Fatboy on trails before at a demo event, but here was a chance to try one out riding on North Stradbroke Island. As mates were staying in cheap cabins at Point Lookout, I of course was going to ride half way around the island to get to them and half of that journey would occur on the beach at night. Ferry time tables, train time tables, all consulted to get me from the in-laws birthday party a little early and via the train, onto the last ferry across to North Stradbroke on a Sunday. I was lucky, my frame bag fitted the medium Fatboy I had to borrow quite well, so it was lightweight Fatpacking ahoy!


Fat on a train

Fat on a Ferry

Fat on the beach.

From the ferry terminal at Dunwich I rode east across the Island over the highest point, past the Blue Lake national park to the beach, and headed north to Point Lookout. I was nice to have the beach all to myself and roll along in the wind blown sand fog that seemed to dull my lights to the prehistoric level of a halogen bulb. The evidence of all the daytime 4WD frolicking was left higher up the beach.
I met up with my friends at the local pub, finished off their left over pizza and ambled back to the accommodation.


The next day it was back onto more sand via Adder rock camping ground and along beach to just before the knob of Amity Point. Sandy utility(power line) access roads, tar-seal, and wallaby tracks all eventually took me back to Dunwich. After the relaxing vehicle ferry ride back to Cleveland, wolfing dinner at at local eatery, I inflated the Fatboy's tyres to firm and rode that buzzy pedal Hummer 50km back to home. It was crazy, entertaining but I'm not sure that I'll do that again.

Follow those tracks...


No comments:

Post a Comment